Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Native: Aquilegia canadensis


I ventured up to the Morris Arboretum last week to see what flowers the springtime had in store. I found a lot of really great things - including checking out the green roof I designed last year - and I went down to check on the Meadow Garden designed by my friend Claire. She designed a garden based on a lot of native pollinator plants. It was early, a lot of things hadn't bloomed or even really leafed out yet, but the Eastern Columbine was beautiful.

It is an important plant for butterflies and hummingbirds as it is one of the first ones in bloom for them to feed on. It also can pretty pretty much grow anywhere (I even saw it doing marvelously well one the Morris green roof) and once established is will self seed and naturalize into an area.

The flowers press wonderfully. I was excited to harvest a sprig to make a new art piece out of it. This turned out to be a graceful piece, very Victorian.

No comments:

Post a Comment