Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ecobota: Ecological Botanicals

Somewhere along the way I became obsessed with plants. I never meant for it to happen this way... it just sort of did. In college I took a job working in the Botany department of the Carnegie Museum of Natural History where I learned mounting techniques for herbarium specimens. From there I moved to Phipps Conservatory and Botanic Gardens and then to the Morris Arboretum. Suddenly I realized I really enjoyed hanging out with plants.

It was at Morris that I realized there was something so beautiful about those pressed herbarium specimens I had handled all those years ago in Pittsburgh. And I had access to all these rare and special trees and flowers so I thought to combine my growing abilities in botanic identification with my old skills in herbarium mounting. Ecobota was born!

I have a little etsy shop that I sell my pressings in. This blog is going to keep track of some of the botanic art pieces I make as well as show the photos of the plans growing in their natural environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment